Top 10 Wiggle Dresses for Spring and Summer
OK, so I am well aware that the name wiggle dress is disgusting and more than slightly derogatory. When we consider that it was named ‘wiggle’ dress because the tapered hemline around the knees encourages women to quite literally ‘wiggle’ along, it might make some of you staunch feminists cry out in anger.
But when all is said and done, the wiggle dress is an undeniably gorgeous 1950s dress style and as you can see from the examples below, it is still firmly on trend and has had a bit of a makeover for this spring and summer.
In most cases you can avoid having too much of a wiggle, by making sure you go for the more modern versions which allow a bit more room around your knees or, if you do want to go for the true vintage style, make sure the material stretches so you can walk a gear above ‘shuffle’.
Do you like the vintage 1950s wiggle dress style? Are you thinking of incorporating this dress into your summer wardrobe? Do you prefer the lighter, louder colours of the daytime wiggle dress on the first row or are you more drawn to the darker and more sultry designs of the bottom line? Which is your favourite out of my top 10 wiggle dresses for this spring and summer?
1. Rose Print Crepe Bustier Dress from Dolce & Gabbana, £880
2. Wiggle Dress with Exaggerated Hips and Embroidery from ASOS, £120
3. Floral Print Pencil Dress in Wiggle Shape from ASOS, £42
4. Bright Floral Short Dress in Wiggle Shape from Dolce & Gabbana, £373
5. Eggplant Purple Wiggle Dress from Stop Staring!, $154
6. Red Lace Dolores Wiggle Dress from Collectif, £45
7. Navy Retro Wiggle Dress from 20th Century Foxy, £80
8. Vintage Emerald Green 50s Wiggle Dress from 20th Century Foxy, £125
9. White Hybrid Cap Sleeve Wiggle Tie Dress from Designer Desirables, £85
10. Checked Cream and Black Wiggle Dress from Stop Staring!, $162.00